It’s been a busy week in our house. School ended, sickness invaded, three rooms in our house were painted, so it’s been a wee bit crazy around here and I am already going to go ahead with the old, easy “recipe” post. Good news, though! It’s a good one.
Every once in awhile I stumble upon a recipe that’s a “game-changer”, and this is one of them. Ridiculously simple, healthy, delicious, goes a long way. I don’t know about you, but I detest cooking in the summer — I’d rather put that time and energy into a trip to the pool or the park with my kids. This recipe fits the bill for me! It makes a tasty dinner, can be used cold (or hot!) in leftovers throughout the rest of the week, and I confess I’ve even snacked on it before. It’s a whole lot of citrusy, flavorful numminess.
SPICE ROASTED CHICKEN with LEMON
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium lemons, washed and thinly sliced
- boneless skinless chicken breasts (I usually buy a family pack from the refrigerated aisle)
- parsley garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, oregano, cumin and olive oil. This will be your marinade.
- Slice the fat off the chicken breasts., then pierce each chicken breast several times with a fork (this will allow the marinade to seep in).
- Place the marinade and the chicken breasts inside a gallon sized ziploc freezer bag, kneading the bag to ensure that the marinade fully coats the chicken.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator for 4-8 hours.
- When you are ready to bake the chicken, place the marinated chicken breasts in a glass pan. Place a slice or 2 of lemon on each breast.
BAKE at 400 for 50-55 minutes, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Serve with Wild Rice or Baked Potatoes.
(thanks to my mother-in-law for the recipe!)